Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Joy and Sorrow of Food (Creative Non-Fiction Essay)

            I am not sure how I became a foodie or when those who enjoy and appreciate food become foodies.  I was raised out on a country farm and remember simple meals of fresh meat and veggies, much like you would expect to find in an all American diner.  It was a special treat to have spaghetti or tacos, for it was not traditional farm food that mom or grandma made.  As I grew up, I began bringing new food wants and requests home from experiences with my friends. A willingness to try new things brought me a whole new world of favors, scents and enjoyments!

            Mom, who worked full time, did not have the inclination to make such treats and so I began to teach myself how to cook.  We did have some interesting “treats” during my exploration.  Most were positive but a few the dog wouldn’t even eat!  I have come a long way. 

            If you were to ask me to pick my favorite or most distinct food memory, I would be hard pressed to pick between two.  In an odd way they are entwined.  As one of my favorite author’s, Khalil Gibran, once wrote, “When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which have given you sorrow that is giving you joy.”  I do believe I would not have enjoyed either memory as much without the other.  The first part of my memory is the failure or “sorrow” and was something that I have been teased about for most of my life.

            When I was about twelve, I gave my hand at the family spaghetti recipe.  Mom and Dad had been out working on the farm all day and I wanted to treat them.  The recipe had been written by my great aunt and I followed it best as I could.  Unfortunately, Aunt Lilah’s handwriting and word choices were not familiar to me and so when it said 3 gloves garlic, with no discernible measurement (at least to me), I compared the other spices the recipe called for and decided that she had forgotten the capital T she used for tablespoon.  I then pondered over the use of two spices in one line of the recipe.  I figured she must have been saving space and each was three tablespoons. 

            I assembled it all together as best as I could, have observed Mom make the dish several times and put it on to simmer.  Since we lived in the country and I wasn’t old enough to drive, I also tried my hand at backing French bread from Mom’s trusty “Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book”.  I shouldn’t toot my own horn, but the loaves turned out perfect. 

            As an hour had gone by, I tasted the spaghetti sauce.  Oh my!  It didn’t taste a thing like Mom’s.  I consulted the recipe again.  I decide that I would do as Mom did, dump and hope or sprinkle in more spices.  So I grabbed a bottle here and there; sniffed it; and if it smelled “italiany”; gave it sprinkle or two.  I let it simmer for a while longer and tried again.  By now the house spelled like fresh baked bread and spaghetti sauce, well sort of. 

            Over the next hour, no matter what I did to the sauce I could not get rid of the odd scent or unpleasant taste.  After receiving a call from mom and dad to let me know they were almost home, I put on the noodles to boil and set the table.  I cut the wonderfully smelling bread and was pleased to see how flawless it looked.  I had everything prepared and the dishes on our linen clad oak family table when mom and dad came tripping in, wet and dirty and attempting to not stumble over the excited family dog.  Mom looked at the table and exclaimed “Wow”.  Dad added, “Looks good, “as he passed through to take a quick shower.  By now Mom had an odd look on her face; she had finally gotten a hint of the odd smells coming from the sauce. 

            Sighing, I finally gave in and asked her to taste it to see what I had left out.  With a small taste and a shudder Mom looked at me and asked what recipe I had used.  I quickly grabbed Aunt Lilah’s recipe and showed her.  She began to question how I had followed the recipe.  When I got to the part about not knowing how much cloves and garlic to put in, Mom began to laugh.  I was puzzled by this reaction. 

            “You put cloves in the sauce, Betsy?” she asked.  I nodded quickly and explained my rational on how I figured out the measurement to use. 

            “I did what you do as well; I tasted it and then grabbed the spices, smelled them and sprinkled more in after it had been cooking for several hours.”

            “It’s not cloves and garlic, it is cloves garlic.  Perhaps I should have edited the recipe to put in cloves OF garlic, but it was how I learned the recipe and I never figured you would have attempted this on your own.  I am sorry, Betsy, but there is nothing we can do to this sauce to make it taste good.  Where did you get the bread from?”

            Sighing at the loss of my sauce, I told her that I had made it and had followed the recipe in “Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book” to a T. 

            By now, Dad was done with his shower and came out to eat dinner.  Mom shook her head at him and they both enjoyed a good laugh over my mistake. 

            “Betsy, let’s go into town and get tacos for dinner.  We can keep the noodles and bread for dinner tomorrow after we make another batch of sauce up together.”

            Disappointed, I agreed.  At least we were going for my favorite food, Taco Bell (at that time a rare treat).  As we waited for Mom to shower, I got changed.  Coming back into the kitchen, I found Mom and Dad laughing hysterically.  Dad had placed some of the sauce (he hated things going to waste) into the dogs bowl and after a quick sniff and lick; the dog had refused to eat my sauce.  It wasn’t even good enough for our dog, which routinely cleaned her self and enjoyed horse bonbons and road-kill.

            To this day, that memory comes back vividly whenever I smell my spaghetti sauce or the scent of ground cloves.  Thank god we did not go out to Italian food when we were in Las Vegas for it may have clouded the joyful memory that I hold dear to my heart.  Without the failure of my attempt to make spaghetti for my family, I would not have such a great contrast for my most enjoyable memory to be compared with.    

            About 5 years ago I traveled down to Las Vegas with a friend for a five day vacation.  We had planned it all out, we wanted to see and do it all: nice meals, shows, shopping, gambling, and of course, people watching.  Sky was the limit.  I never thought my strongest memory would be our last meal, more specifically the salad from that meal.      

            It was the fourth day of our whirlwind of a vacation.  We had just been to the first showing of "Zumanity" and had reservations at Le Cirque in Bellagio, where we were staying.  It was their lasted sitting.  Both of us were looking forward to this meal, giving all of the reviews we had read.  We were not disappointed!

            You walk into the restaurant and are greeted politely.  We were seated in the lounge and offered drinks while we waited for our table to be prepared.  Soon, we were seated.  Stepping into the dining room was overwhelming.  There was so much to take in.  The ceilings were done in red and yellow silk and created a circus top.  Those tones were carried throughout the room in the stripped upholstery and the rich carpet.  First you notice the table with its place settings in a whimsical circus motif.  After you take a few breathes, you begin to notice the rich woods and the circus murals painted in the alcoves along the walls.  Finally, when the Bellagio’s fountains begin, your scenic experience is complete, now it is time to move on to the beautiful aromas and flavorful tastes.

            We were blessed and spoiled with our waiter.  His name was Tom and he was a combination of an elegant butler and a soccer dad.  I have been back four times since to visit with him and enjoy the wonderful food.  Tom was prim and proper but tempered with the heartfelt friendliness and the desire to help you have the best Le Cirque experience.   With his guidance we made our selections for the meal, accented with the beverages and spiced with the wonderful ambience. 

            I wish I could find a way for you to see my memory beyond the words I am attempting to use to paint this wonderful picture for you.  To be honest, after the Salade de Homard (Le Cirque Lobster and Avocado Salad with Truffle vinaigrette) arrived, the rest of the memory really is just a pleasant haze.  That salad!  It was amazing!  No, more than that it was the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious salad. 

            Now this is when I should say I am an extremely pick foodie.  I dislike a great many foods and most of them are not because of the flavor but the textures.  The top of that list is avocado, asparagus, dumplings and tapioca.  How did I ever get talked into trying a salad that had avocado and asparagus in it I will never know.  Yes I do, it was Tom’s charm and persuasion.  I should also say, I love, adore, crave and extol lobster; and I enjoy truffles, not just the chocolate kind, but that unique fungus that has such a rich, earthy smell and taste.

            It arrived on another one of their wonderfully whimsical plates.  Unique was the first word that popped into my mind.  This was not just a salad but a work of art.  An orange sauce had been artfully placed on the plate which the salad sat upon.  On the bottom was pieces of avocado, asparagus and artichoke heart (oh another one of those I am not fond of the texture) in a truffle vinaigrette gel that solidify the bottom into a one inch cylinder of green ambrosia.  Next up is a layer of marinated lobster and slivers of black truffle.  Then a layer of the fresh greens, light tossed in the vinaigrette.  All of this is topped with a lobster claw and another sliver of black truffle.  The scent was incredible and very difficult to describe, rich and earthy with a hint of sea and the armor of fresh greens. 

            I was a bit put off on how to eat it.  But after the first bite, it did not matter, each forkful was a dream.  Each bite was enjoyed fully and slowly.  Little did I notice, I was closing my eyes with each bite and savoring the flavors on my tongue.  Cutting the lobster and truffle slivers in smaller pieces, I tried to fit each individual essence on my fork, and they were the smallest bites possible taken to be able to prolong my experience.  My companion began spending more time observing me than enjoying his own vanishing salad. 

            Finally, I heard a slight clearing of a throat and looked up to see a dark haired man donned all white with our waiter stand slightly behind him.  Blinking I came out of reverie and focused on the restaurant around me.  It was very quiet. 

            Smiling at me, the chef asked, “Is your salad alright?”

            Licking my lips, I nodded.  “Yes, it is wonderful!  Please pass my compliments to the chef.”   

            “Thank you, I will gladly accept them.  Please enjoy the rest of your meal with as much appreciation as you are the salad," he said as he stepped away from the table and made his way back to the kitchen. 

            It soon settled on me who he had been and my face flushed bright red.  Later our waiter said that my enjoyment of the salad had made the chef’s month.  All the rest of the food was delicious including the extras that were sent out from the kitchen for our enjoyment.  What was to be three course meal turned into a seven and about two hours of pure foodie heaven.






No comments:

Post a Comment